seeing visitors since 310804

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

irritants

Listening to:

Really great stuff.

----------------------------------

The roads are really runneth over by dogs, or bitches in this case.
Again I almost got my car crashed into yesterday evening.
There I was, cruising in my lane on the CTE, when this woman tried to cut in front of me. Oh she signalled, so no issues there. The problem is that the front of my car was then already parallel with the boot of her car! I sounded my horn and - you’ve got to give her points for persistence here - she continued her way into my lane. There was no way I could slow down save for jam braking, so I had to swerve out to avoid hitting her. Luckily the next lane was empty of traffic. As I leaned into my horn and glared at her, she had this look of utter oblivion on her face.
Auntie, you’d better go get your ears and eyes checked. I sounded the horn for at least a good minute at you. And I was driving a fucking red car. Don’t tell me you can’t see or hear.
She had two little girls in the car with her, or I would have given her the courtesy of the third finger. Stupid bitch, when you eventually crash your car, I hope you’re by yourself. Don’t get others into trouble.
YOU FUCKING BITCH.

----------------------------------

There was a little hoohah in the papers recently about some local guy who went to the Ritz wearing shorts, and was asked to change into pants while an angmoh was left alone.
It’s such a classic case. So many years after being a British colony and we still haven’t gotten rid of our colonial masters hang-up. There are three quite distinct camps among people who still have these hang-ups.
Camp 1 is the “I love everything angmoh” camp. The boys and girls who wish they are born with white skin instead of yellow skin belong to this camp. The people who look down on their Asian heritage also belong here. As well as those who would only date angmohs and no one else, and publicly proclaim it.
Camp 2 is the “I hate everything angmoh” camp. These are the people who go around harping that the angmohs get the best of everything. Their jobs, their women (or men), their everything. Put one of them side by side with an angmoh and serve them both the same dish, and the harper will say you serve the angmoh a better dish.
Camp 3 is the “I kowtow to the angmoh” camp. These people usually work in the hotel or service industry. Some services not possible to their Singaporean customers become possible to the angmoh customers. That’s why I always get my angmoh friend to ask for stuff…
Anyway.
I read this from an article from the Oct 29 edition of TODAY written by mr brown, him of the talkingcock.com fame. I think it’s a great excerpt. Thanks mr brown, you took the words right out of my mouth.

….

What’s up with the shorts and slippers everywhere we go?
Sure, the weather here is hot as heck, but surely there’s a place for shorts and a place for long pants? I don’t care if you are the whatever vice-president of whatever leading company that designs and manufactures whatever high-tech products. Dress right to be treated right.
Some guy wrote in to the paper not long ago to complain about how some restaurant at Ritz-Carlton Millenia hotel made his friend, a vice-president of some big company who wears shorts everywhere, put on some baggy long pants provided by the hotel, because the restaurant has a dress code.
And it became some kind of anti-colonialism letter because later, other ang mohs who wore shorts were not turned away or made to wear restaurant-provided pants (apparently, the restaurant ran out of stylo long pants, they only had four).
Come on, lah. First of all, why you have to write in for your friend? Your vice-president friend cannot write in himself, issit? And if he is so accomplished, surely he knows that clothes maketh the man. Your vice-president friend doesn’t wear shorts to work or to meet clients, does he? Of course not, because his staff and his clients will think he is an unprofessional slob.
So, now it’s ok to be an unprofessional slob outside of work?
The only thing the hotel seems to be guilty of is not having enough long pants (four is hardly enough for ultra-casual Singaporeans). So please go and buy some more, and maybe in a few more colours and styles. Get some formal leopard print ones too, I heard those are “in”.

- mr brown. “voices” TODAY Oct 29

----------------------------------

America decides.
Since I’m sick at home, I’ve been following the election results as they come in.
Hmmm.
Americans, please show some intelligence for once.
Vote the lesser of two evils.

I’m behind the one who talks less rubbish.

No comments: