seeing visitors since 310804

Sunday, November 28, 2004

idols & idiots

I don’t understand this obsession with the Idols. Singapore Idol, America Idol, Malaysia Idol, whatever. I mean, sure it’s great that these people are providing great entertainment value to you while they try to chase their dreams, but the obsessive behaviours? Grown women crying over a young lanky boy? Sending 300 SMSes to vote (at the cost of $0.50 per SMS no less, the telcos must be laughing all the way to the bank)? People chanting cheers and weeping openly? It’s like a cult. Mass hysteria really.
Is the state of the world so bad now that people need mundane stuff like these to occupy their minds?
I’m sorry. I don’t watch TV. Between work and my friends and my family and my life in general, I only have time for the Straitjacket Times. And I’m already 2 months behind on my magazines.

And one more thing, spending $150 on SMSes? Come on, it’s the end of the year. I can suggest a better place for that money.
The charities need you. The festive season is when they need the most cash. And you can claim all that against your income for next year’s income tax as long as you donate before 31 Dec 2004. If you need another reason that is.
My personal choice is the Singapore Children’s Society, but I’m sure you can find one you believe in.

----------------------------------

Some updates:
Compulsory HIV screening for pregnant women from December - Nov 27, 2004
HIV test from next month for mums-to-be - Nov 28, 2004
Let's see if they put their money where their mouths are...

---------------------------------

If you remember, I ranted quite a bit in my previous blogs about near-accidents.
Really met with one yesterday. Nothing serious, though it could have been if I had put in a little more speed and put my head in the way of the big-ass truck.
I was trying to reverse into my house so I went forwards to realign the car. This lorry/pickup driver from behind, who was actually speeding on a quiet estate road, tried to overtake me without using her head nor her eyes and rammed staright into my right headlight. The fact that she only stopped about 5m after the impact is an indication of how fast she was going.
The driver was a 20-year-old girl still hanging up her P-plate, but her dad (who was in the passenger seat) got down and all I heard from him was the word "fuck" said in many different styles. What got me most worked up though was the fact that they were going to drive off without coming down to see the damage done. I should be the one saying fuck. Their truck was unscathed, my headlight and bumper were fucked.
Freaking idiots on the road. God knows if she's even qualified to drive that truck with her class 3 licence. I hope you get busted for illegal driving you goddamned c**t and your foul-mouthed father.

No comments: