seeing visitors since 310804

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

red hot issue

If you care too much about Singapore, first it'll break your spirit, and finally it will break your heart.
- Alfian Sa'at


With Mr Wang taking up the gauntlet on the university admission issue, things should be getting interesting. I was just reading the comments and man, is Mr Wang on a roll today! Heh.

I reserve my views on the matter, yet I can't help but observe that our garden city has become a rather difficult place to live in. At least based on the results that people are NOT getting into university, if the situation was similar in my time, I would probably not be holding a local degree now.

But well, let's leave the debate to my fellow more fired-up compatriots.

There is one thing I want to agree with though. In one of his comments, Mr Wang said, "It's a funny thing that happens in Singapore. Key words and catchphrases get bandied around so much that people eventually forget what they mean and why these key words were adopted in the first place."

Of course he was referring to the use of the word "meritocracy". But I'm thinking it can also refer to the word "monopoly" in this case.

...But StarHub's Mr Ee rejected suggestions that the company has enjoyed a monopoly in pay-TV services. "With the recent entries of other pay-TV operators into the market, StarHub is no longer the sole operator in Singapore," he said. "Even before the local pay-TV market was opened up, StarHub was facing competition from other sources such as the local free-to-air channels."
'We have no choice,' says SCV

Hmmm....


Check. Check. Check. Check.
Now Economics is definitely not my forte but sure sounds like the fat green pipe company, no?

No comments: