Two Chinese artistes, two quotes, two very different intellectual levels.
"I'm a straight line. I'm blunt and straightforward. I don't think I'm sweet."
- Taiwanese singer Cyndi Wang
"You spend all your youth making money, then you spend all your money buying back youth."
- Former actress Yung Ching Ching on the ironies of life
----------------------------------
Student:
Master, why did Singapore score only 43.2 percent in the "voice and accountability" section of the World Bank Institute survey?
Master:
Because the sun rises and sets.
Student:
I don't understand. Please tell me more.
Master:
It happened a long time ago. An Italian scholar published a book in which he declared himself a heliocentrist, that is, someone who believes the earth goes around the sun. This was a terrible thing to confess, even worse than someone confessing to being a racist today, The confession was unacceptable to the powerful geocentrists, who knew the sun went around the earth. so they told him to publicly deny his beliefs.
Student:
What did the scholar do?
Master:
He had not choice but to do as the powerful geocentrists demanded. Here's a modern summary of his abjurement(sworn denial) document: "I, Galle Leo, was wrong to declare myself a heliocentrist. To allay everyone's suspicions of me, I sincerely abjure my errors and falsehoods. Furthermore, I promise that I will never again in future say or write or cause to be said or written anything which will attract a similar suspicion against me."
Student:
Wow, like, he reversed his own blog?
Master:
Well, in our modern terms, yes.
Student:
But surely the right thing for the geocentrists to do was to strongly rebut the heliocentrist view, instead of savagely rebuking the heliocentrist.
Master:
Be that as it may, that was what happened. And that is why we today still believe that the sun rises and sets, as it makes its way around the earth each day.
Student:
I see. But how does this explain Singapore's 43.2 percent score?
Master:
You still have much to learn, Grasshopper. Patience.
- The Real Lowdown.Page 3 I.S.Magazine Friday May 20, 2005
Brilliant!!!!!
----------------------------------
To Fat Records.
For the laughing days and the painful times.
Baby, I can't figure it out
Your kisses taste like honey
Sweet lies don't gimme no rise
Oh, what you're trying to do
Livin' on your cheatin'
and the pain grows inside me
It's enough to leave me crying in the rain
love you forever but you're driving me insane
And I'm hanging on
I'll win, I'll never give in
Our love has got the power
Too many lovers in one lifetime
Ain't good for you
You treat me like a vision in the night
Someone there to stand behind you
When your world ain't working right
I ain't no vision, I am the girl
who loves you inside and out
Backwards and forwards with my heart hanging out
I love no other way
What are we gonna do if we lose that fire
Wrap myself up and take me home again
Too many heartaches in my lifetime ain't good for me
I figure it's the love that keeps you warm
Let this moment be forever
We won't ever feel the storm
I ain't no vision, I am the girl
Who loves you inside and out
Backwards and forwards with my heart hanging out
I love no other way
What are we gonna do if we lose that fire
Don't try to tell me that it's over
I can't hear a word I can't hear a line
No girl could love you more
And that's what I'm cryin' for
You can't change the way I feel inside
You're the reason for my laughter and my sorrow
Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow
No man on earth can stand between my love and I
And no matter how you hurt me, I will love you till I die
I ain't no vision, I am the girl
Who loves you inside and out
Backwards and forwards with my heart hanging out
I love no other way
What are we gonna do if we lose that fire
- Inside and Out.Feist/Bee Gees
No comments:
Post a Comment