seeing visitors since 310804

Friday, April 15, 2005

sad songs for a sad society

And here I was, thinking about the lack of controversial news recently after the whole AIDS hoohah. The news were so lacking that I have to bore all of you with the minute details of my manic-depressive state of mind, as well as risk the blog turning into a lyrics page.
Then bingo, headlining today's Straits Times:
Single mums' plea: Don't ignore us
(I would have love to hyperlink to the article for you, unfortunately the Straitsjacket Times online is now a paid site.)

Essentially the article is about the plight of single mums in Singapore, particularly those who decide to have their kids even after their partners abandon them. These unmarried mums do not have the same benefits and privileges that go to married mums, which include tax breaks and other financial incentives like the baby bonus.

Hear the nanny state speaks:
..."The family unit with a father, mother and child is the fabric with which we weave our community," said the chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Community Development, Youth and Sports, MP Sin Boon Ann. "That should not be compromised."
Not surprised that there are more unwed mums, he said, "Being better educated and financially independent gives them the choice to raise babies single-handedly."
But he felt that having made alternative lifestyle choices, they should not then ask the Government to bend rules to accommodate them."...
...His parliamentary colleague, Ms (Penny) Low, shares similar views, "Government policies are made on a macro level - they set the tone for society," she said...

Now hear the mums speak:
...As Ms Lee puts it, "We are taxpayers, our sons will do national service, our daughters will bear and nurture future generations."...
..."Yes, we may have made a mistake, but now we are taking responsibility for our actions," she (Ms Phang) said. "Should we be discriminated against for having and raising a child in a country that needs kids so much?"...
..."Is deciding not to abort anti-family?" she (Ms Toh) said. "For many of us, the fathers refused to bear responsibility."...
...For unwed mothers, the issue goes beyond tangible benefits. As her dimpled baby gurgled in the background, Ms Toh said that if she gave him up for adoption, he would become someone else's "legitimate" child. But she had him, loves him and wants to raise him. "It hurts a lot that my baby will always be illegitimate in the eyes of the state," she said.

What kind of country treats it own citizens like second-class humans once they don't fit into the mound?
And anyway, aren't we facing a baby drought? If married couples (who are "licensed" to have kids) are not having enough kids, shouldn't you be rewarding these brave women instead?
Think out of the box now people.
As if it is not enough for them to face the moral judgment of narrow-minded twits in society, you want to be the final bullet that kills them?
Come on.
Degeneration of a society is an eventuality. Deal with it.

----------------------------------

Have you ever loved and hated someone at the same time?
It's driving me crazy.
Joan Jett has it spot on...

Midnight gettin' uptight Where are you
You said you'd meet me now it's quarter to two
I know I'm hangin' but I'm still wantin' you
Hey Jack It's a fact they're talkin' in town
I turn my back and you're messin' around
I'm not really jealous don't like lookin' like a clown

Daylight spent the night without you
But I've been dreamin' 'bout the lovin' you do
I won't be as angry 'bout the hell you put me through
Hey man betcha you can treat me right
You just don’t know what you was missin’ last night
I wanna see you beggin, say forget it just for spite

I think of you ev'ry night and day
You took my heart then you took my pride away

I hate myself for loving you
Can't break free from the the things that you do
I wanna walk but I run back to you, that's why
I hate myself for loving you

- I Hate Myself For Loving You.Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

----------------------------------

Hoorah. Now for more sad songs.

I don't want to hurt you,
No reason have I but fear,
And I ain't guilty of crimes accused me of,
But I'm guilty of fear.

I'm sorry to remind,
You but I'm scared of what we're creating,
This life ain't fair.

You don't get something for nothing,
Turn now,
Hmm gotta try a little harder,
It could be sweet,
Like a long forgotten dream,
And we don't need them,
To cast the fate we have,
Love don't always shine through,
‘Cause I don't wanna lose,
What we had last time your leaving,
This life ain't fair

But the thoughts we try to deny,
Take a toll upon our lives.
We struggle on in depths of pride,
Tangled up in single minds,

‘Oh, ‘cause I don't wanna lose,
What we had last time your leaving,
This life ain't fair.

Oh, no, you don't get something for nothing,
Turn back,
Hmm gotta try a little harder,
It could be sweet.

- It Could Be Sweet.Portishead

No comments: